About Us

About us

Welcome to the Michigan Conference of Teamsters Welfare Fund

The excellent plan of benefits that you enjoy today, as a participant in the Michigan Conference of Teamsters Welfare Fund, got its start in 1949.

Three organizations, the Michigan Teamsters Joint Council No. 43 (Union Association), the Motor Carriers Employers Association of Michigan and Michigan Cartagemen’s Association (Employer Associations), made and entered into an Agreement and Declaration of Trust establishing a trust fund for the sole and exclusive benefit of the Teamster employees (participants) of contributing employers.

The original Trust Agreement provided for the appointment by the Associations of two Union Trustees and two Employer Trustees to administer the Fund.

The above commemorative plaque of James Riddle Hoffa is proudly hung in the Fund’s atrium.

Our History

Providing quality services and first-rate healthcare coverage

Shortly after inception, the Fund was providing benefits to about 7,500 participants whose employers contributed to the Fund one cent for each participant hour worked. The Fund contracted with the Continental Assurance Agency for insured hospitalization, surgical and life benefits. Today, the Fund is self-funded and provides a comprehensive array of benefits covering over 42,000 Teamsters, dependent family members, retirees, and spouses throughout Michigan and in several other states.

As the number of Teamster participants grew, so did the Fund. It grew out of its original home — the basement of the Union Hall at 2741 Trumbull Avenue in Detroit. In the summer of 1963, the Fund moved across the street to its present address, 2700 Trumbull, presently employing over 90 dedicated individuals.

The goals, established for the Fund over 70 years ago, are to provide Teamsters and their families with the best possible plan of benefits and to provide unparalleled service to them. These goals remain the Fund’s sole focus today.